The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
32-1634.04. Certified registered nurse anesthetist; scope of practice; physician and surgeon immunity
A. A certified registered nurse anesthetist may administer anesthetics under the direction of and in the presence of a physician or surgeon in connection with the preoperative, intraoperative or postoperative care of a patient or as part of a procedure performed by a physician or surgeon in the following settings:
1. A health care institution.
2. An office of a health care professional who is licensed pursuant to chapter 7, 11, 13 or 17 of this title.
3. An ambulance.
B. In connection with the preoperative, intraoperative or postoperative care of a patient or as part of the procedure in the settings prescribed in subsection A of this section, a certified registered nurse anesthetist as part of the care or procedure may:
1. Issue a medication order for drugs or medications, including controlled substances, to be administered by a licensed, certified or registered health care provider.
2. Assess the health status of an individual as that status relates to the relative risks associated with anesthetic management of an individual.
3. Obtain informed consent.
4. Order and evaluate laboratory and diagnostic test results and perform point-of-care testing that the certified registered nurse anesthetist is qualified to perform.
5. Order and evaluate radiographic imaging studies that the certified registered nurse anesthetist is qualified to order and interpret.
6. Identify, develop, implement and evaluate an anesthetic plan of care for a patient to promote, maintain and restore health.
7. Take action necessary in response to an emergency situation.
8. Perform therapeutic procedures that the certified registered nurse anesthetist is qualified to perform.
C. A certified registered nurse anesthetist's prescribing authority to administer anesthetics or to issue a medication order as prescribed by this section does not include the ability to write or issue a prescription for medications to be filled or dispensed for a patient for use outside of the settings prescribed in subsection A of this section.
D. A physician or surgeon is not liable for any act or omission of a certified registered nurse anesthetist who orders or administers anesthetics under this section.