The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
13-2910.07 - Cruel and inhumane confinement of a pig during pregnancy or of a calf raised for veal
13-2910.07. Cruel and inhumane confinement of a pig during pregnancy or of a calf raised for veal
(Caution: 1998 Prop. 105 applies)
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of title 3 or title 13, a person shall not tether or confine any pig during pregnancy or any calf raised for veal, on a farm, for all or the majority of any day, in a manner that prevents such animal from:
1. Lying down and fully extending his or her limbs; or
2. Turning around freely.
B. This section shall not apply to:
1. Pigs or calves during transportation.
2. Pigs or calves in rodeo exhibitions, state or county fair exhibitions, or other similar exhibitions.
3. The killing of pigs or calves according to the provisions of chapter 13, title 3 and other applicable law and regulations.
4. Pigs or calves involved in lawful scientific or agricultural research.
5. Pigs or calves while undergoing an examination, test, treatment or operation for veterinary purposes.
6. A pig during the seven day period prior to the pig's expected date of giving birth.
C. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.
D. The following definitions shall govern this section:
1. "Calf" means a calf of the bovine species.
2. "Calf raised for veal" means a calf raised with the intent of selling, marketing or distributing the meat, organs or any part of such calf as a food product described as "veal."
3. "Farm" means the land, buildings, support facilities, and other equipment that is wholly or partially used for the production of animals for food or fiber.
4. "Pig" means any animal of the porcine species.
5. "Turning around freely" means having the ability to turn around in a complete circle without any impediment, including a tether, or, in the case of an enclosure (including what is commonly described as a "gestation crate" for pigs and a "veal crate" for calves) without touching any side of the enclosure.