The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
32-1289.01. Dental hygienists; affiliated practice relationships; rules; definition
A. A dentist who holds an active license pursuant to this chapter and a dental hygienist who holds an active license pursuant to this article may enter into an affiliated practice relationship to deliver dental hygiene services.
B. A dental hygienist shall satisfy all of the following to be eligible to enter into an affiliated practice relationship with a dentist pursuant to this section to deliver dental hygiene services in an affiliated practice relationship:
1. Hold an active license in good standing pursuant to this article.
2. Enter into an affiliated practice relationship with a dentist who holds an active license pursuant to this chapter.
3. Be actively engaged in dental hygiene practice for at least five hundred hours in each of the two years immediately preceding the affiliated practice relationship.
C. An affiliated practice agreement between a dental hygienist and a dentist shall be in writing and:
1. Shall include at least the following:
(a) An identification of the affiliated practice settings in which the dental hygienist may deliver services pursuant to the affiliated practice relationship.
(b) An identification of the services to be provided and any procedures and standing orders the dental hygienist must follow. The standing orders shall include the circumstances in which a patient may be seen by the dental hygienist.
2. May include protocols for supervising dental assistants.
D. The following requirements apply to all dental hygiene services provided through an affiliated practice relationship:
1. Patients who have been assessed by the dental hygienist shall be directed to the affiliated dentist for diagnosis, treatment or planning that is outside the dental hygienist's scope of practice, and the affiliated dentist may make any necessary referrals to other dentists.
2. The affiliated practice dental hygienist shall consult with the affiliated practice dentist if the proposed treatment is outside the scope of the agreement.
3. The affiliated practice dental hygienist shall consult with the affiliated practice dentist before initiating further treatment on patients who have not been seen by a dentist within twelve months of the initial treatment by the dental hygienist.
4. The affiliated practice dental hygienist shall consult with the affiliated practice dentist before initiating treatment on patients presenting with a complex medical history or medication regimen.
5. The patient shall be informed in writing that the dental hygienist providing the care is a licensed dental hygienist and that the care does not take the place of a diagnosis or treatment plan by a dentist.
E. A contract for dental hygiene services with licensees who have entered into an affiliated practice relationship pursuant to this section may be entered into only by:
1. A health care organization or facility.
2. A long-term care facility.
3. A public health agency or institution.
4. A public or private school authority.
5. A government-sponsored program.
6. A private nonprofit or charitable organization.
7. A social service organization or program.
F. An affiliated practice dental hygienist may not provide dental hygiene services in a setting that is not listed in subsection E of this section.
G. Each dentist in an affiliated practice relationship shall:
1. Be available to provide an appropriate level of contact, communication and consultation with the affiliated dental hygienist during the business hours of the affiliated practice dental hygienist.
2. Adopt standing orders applicable to dental hygiene procedures that may be performed and populations that may be treated by the dental hygienist under the terms of the applicable affiliated practice agreement and to be followed by the dental hygienist in each affiliated practice setting in which the dental hygienist performs dental hygiene services under the affiliated practice relationship.
3. Adopt procedures to provide timely referral of patients referred by the affiliated practice dental hygienist to a licensed dentist for examination and treatment planning. If the examination and treatment planning is to be provided by the dentist, that treatment shall be scheduled in an appropriate time frame. The affiliated practice dentist or the dentist to whom the patient is referred shall be geographically available to see the patient.
4. Not permit the provision of dental hygiene services by more than three affiliated practice dental hygienists at any one time.
H. Each affiliated dental hygienist, when practicing under an affiliated practice relationship:
1. May perform only those duties within the terms of the affiliated practice relationship.
2. Shall maintain an appropriate level of contact, communication and consultation with the affiliated dentist.
3. Is responsible and liable for all services rendered by the dental hygienist under the affiliated practice relationship.
I. The dental hygienist and the affiliated dentist shall notify the board of the beginning of the affiliated practice relationship and provide the board with a copy of the agreement and any amendments to the agreement within thirty days after the effective date of the agreement or amendment. The dental hygienist and the affiliated dentist shall also notify the board within thirty days after the termination date of the affiliated practice relationship if this date is different than the agreement termination date.
J. Subject to the terms of the written affiliated practice agreement entered into between a dentist and a dental hygienist, a dental hygienist may:
1. Perform all dental hygiene procedures authorized by this chapter except for any diagnostic procedures that are required to be performed by a dentist. The dentist's presence and an examination, diagnosis and treatment plan are not required unless specified by the affiliated practice agreement. Procedures identified in section 32-1281, subsection B, paragraphs 4 and 5 are subject to the conditions prescribed in section 32-1281, subsection F.
2. Supervise dental assistants, including dental assistants who are certified to perform functions pursuant to section 32-1291.
K. The board shall adopt rules regarding participation in affiliated practice relationships by dentists and dental hygienists that specify the following:
1. Additional continuing education requirements that must be satisfied by a dental hygienist.
2. Additional standards and conditions that may apply to affiliated practice relationships.
3. Compliance with the dental practice act and rules adopted by the board.
L. For the purposes of this section, "affiliated practice relationship" means the delivery of dental hygiene services, pursuant to an agreement, by a dental hygienist who is licensed pursuant to this article and who refers the patient to a dentist licensed pursuant to this chapter for any necessary further diagnosis, treatment and restorative care.