ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
Senate: ELEC DP 5-3-0-0 | 3rd Read: 16-14-0-0
SB 1105: early ballots; election day tabulation
Sponsor: Senator Carroll, LD 28
Committee on Municipal Oversight & Elections
Directs counties to provide for the on-site tabulation of voted early ballots unless the county does not otherwise tabulate ballots on-site at voting locations.
Laws 2022, Chapter 271 provides counties the option to provide for the on-site tabulation of voted early ballots on election day. Statute outlines procedures for counties that authorize the on-site tabulation of voted early ballots. Specifically, the County Recorder or officer in charge of elections must designate an area within a precinct or voting center to process electors with their voted early ballots. The elector is required to provide valid identification and an election official must confirm that the name and address on the elector's completed affidavit reasonably matches the name and address in the precinct register. Once the elector signs the signature roster, they can proceed to the tabulating equipment where the elector is directed, under the observation of an election official, to remove the early ballot from the completed ballot affidavit envelope, deposit the empty completed affidavit envelope in a secured drop box and insert the early ballot into the tabulating machine (A.R.S. §§ 16-579.01, 16-579.02).
1. Mandates counties provide for the on-site tabulation of voted early ballots for any elector who appears at their designated polling place or a voting center. (Sec. 1)
2. Exempts counties that tabulate election day ballots at a central location and do not otherwise tabulate ballots on-site at voting locations. (Sec. 1)
3. Makes technical and conforming changes. (Sec. 1, 2)
6. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
7. SB 1105
8. Initials JH Page 0 Municipal Oversight & Elections
10. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------