ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
House: HHS DP 7-1-0-1
HB 2046: board of psychologist examiners
Sponsor: Representative Bliss, LD 1
Adds that an applicant demonstrates satisfaction of licensure requirements for a psychologist license if graduated with a doctoral degree from a program accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA).
Laws 1965, Chapter 102 created the Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners (APBE). APBE licenses individuals to practice psychology or behavior analysis in Arizona and investigates and adjudicates allegations of unprofessional conduct filed against psychologists and behavior analysts licensed in Arizona.
An applicant must have a doctoral degree from a higher education institution (Institution) in clinical or counseling psychology, school or educational psychology or any other subject area in applied psychology acceptable to APBE. Statute outlines specified requirements for an Institution's doctoral psychology program which include: 1) accreditation from regional accrediting agencies; 2) identifiable psychology faculty; and 3) a core program that requires certain graduate semester hours in certain content areas. Applicants are also required to acquire 3,000 hours of supervised professional work experience (A.R.S. § 32-2071).
Currently, an applicant meets the requirements of statute if they have earned a doctoral degree from a program that was accredited by the American Psychological Association, Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation or the Psychological Clinical Science Accreditation System at the time of graduation (A.R.S. § 32-2071.01).
The CPA was created in 1939 and incorporated under the Canada Corporations Act, Part II, in May 1950. Its mission is to advance research, knowledge and the application of psychology in the service of society through advocacy, support and collaboration. CPA accredited programs can be found here.
1. States that an applicant demonstrates satisfaction of licensure requirements for a psychologist license if graduated with a doctoral degree from a CPA accredited program. (Sec. 4)
2. Removes the requirement that an applicant who is licensed to practice psychology at the independent level in another licensing jurisdiction of the U.S. or Canada must submit evidence of having practiced independently at the doctoral level for a minimum of five years. (Sec. 4)
3. Allows APBE to accept primary-source credentials from a credentials verification service approved by them. (Sec. 4)
4. Specifies that APBE is not required to verify any documentation or information received by APBE from a credentials verification service that has been approved by them. (Sec. 4)
5. Permits an applicant for a psychologist license to take the knowledge portion of the APBE examination after the applicant completes education requirements, which does not include the statutory dissertation or experience requirements. (Sec. 5)
6. Asserts that a person who holds a valid temporary issued license can use the title Licensed Associate Psychologist. (Sec. 6)
7. Makes technical and conforming changes. (Sec. 1-3,5,6)
10. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
11. HB 2046
12. Initials AG Page 0 House Engrossed
14. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------