ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Second Regular Session
Senate: NREW DP 9-0-0-0 | 3rd Read: 29-0-1-0
SCM 1003: Grand Canyon; monuments; rename
Sponsor: Senator Boyer, LD 20
Committee on Land, Agriculture & Rural Affairs
The BGN is a federal body within the United States Department of the Interior. The purpose of the board is to establish and maintain uniform usage of geographic names throughout the federal government. The BGN is comprised of representatives of federal agencies concerned with geographic information, population, ecology and management of public lands (43 U.S.C. § 364 et. seq).
The Grand Canyon has multitudes of geographic features with diverse place names, including Confucius Temple, Muav Canyon, Crazy Jug Point, Awatovi Creek, Hindu Amphitheater, Santa Maria Springs and Mount Huethwali.
1. Urges the BGN to rename the geographic features in the Grand Canyon with traditional Native American names. (Sec. 1)
2. Directs the Arizona Secretary of State to transmit copies of this memorial to the Chairperson of the BGN. (Sec. 1)
5. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
6. SCM 1003
7. Initials PAB/JH Page 0 Land, Agriculture & Rural Affairs
9. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------