ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Second Regular Session
House: GE DP 7-6-0-0
HB 2780: voter lists; images; voting records
Sponsor: Representative Kavanagh, LD 23
Caucus & COW
Outlines requirements for the electronic posting of election records and the processing of ballots by the county recorder.
The county recorder is responsible for maintaining county records, maps and papers for access to the public. The county recorder is also responsible for canvassing an election between six and twenty days after the election was held. The canvass of an election is complete when the county recorder relays the results of the election to the county board of supervisors (A.R.S. § 11-461, 16-642).
Statute states that the officer in charge of elections must ensure that electronic data and ballot images are protected from electronic or physical access (A.R.S. § 16-625).
1. Requires the county recorder to publish, 10 days before the primary and general election, a list of all voters who are eligible to vote in the election, including a list of inactive voters. (Sec. 1)
2. Establishes that the county recorder must post the voter list on their website and redact the voter's date of birth, driver license number, nonoperating identification license number and social security number before publishing or posting the voter list. (Sec. 1)
3. States that after the primary or general election and five days before the county canvass the county recorder or other officer in charge of elections must publish and post in a digital format to the county's website:
a) A list of voters and their method of voting;
b) All ballot images with the unique identification (ID) number from the ballot; and
c) A sortable format of the cast vote record. (Sec. 1)
4. Requires early and provisional ballot tabulators to imprint a unique ID number on each early ballot to allow the ballot image to be linked to the physical ballot. (Sec. 1)
5. Asserts that early and provisional ballots must be separated, tabulated and stored by precinct. (Sec. 1)
6. States that election day ballots must be stored by precinct after tabulation. (Sec. 1)
7. Instructs the officer in charge of elections to sort and store ballots in a manner that allows for convenient retrieval. (Sec. 1)
10. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
11. HB 2780
12. Initials SJ/ES Page 0 Caucus & COW
14. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------