ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Second Regular Session
House: GE DP 9-1-3-0
HB2601: kratom products; definitions
Sponsor: Representative Kavanagh, LD 23
Caucus & COW
A kratom product is defined as a food product or dietary ingredient containing any part of the leaf of the plant Mitragyna Speciosa (A.R.S. § 36-795).
Current statute states that a dealer of kratom products is a person that sells, prepares or maintains kratom products or that advertises, represents, or holds itself out as selling, preparing or maintaining kratom products (A.R.S. § 36-795).
Food means articles used for food or drink for man or animals, including chewing gum and articles used for components of any such article (A.R.S. § 36-901). Food also includes a food product, food ingredient, dietary ingredient, dietary supplement or beverage for human consumption (A.R.S. § 36-795).
1. Replaces the term dealer with processor or retailer. (Sec. 2-4)
2. Specifies that a kratom product is contaminated with a dangerous nonkratom substance if the product contains any controlled substance prescribed by rules adopted pursuant to the Controlled Substances Act. (Sec. 3)
3. Prescribes that violations and enforcement are additionally governed by statute relating to pure food control. (Sec. 4)
4. Modifies the definition of food. (Sec. 1)
5. Changes the definition of dealer to processor and modifies the definition. (Sec. 1)
6. Defines retailer. (Sec. 1)
7. Makes technical and conforming changes. (Sec. 1-4)
10. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
11. HB 2601
12. Initials SJ/BG Page 0 Caucus & COW
14. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------