ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Second Regular Session
House: COM DPA 10-0-0-0
HB 2273: transportation network company vehicles; inspections
Sponsor: Representative Weninger, LD 17
Amends the Transportation Network Company (TNC) driver and vehicle requirements for accepting trip requests.
Title 28, Chapter 30, Article 3, A.R.S. governs TNCs. A TNC is an entity that uses a digital network or software application to connect passengers to transportation network services provided by a TNC driver. Current statute outlines responsibilities that a TNC must undertake prior to permitting a TNC driver to accept trip requests, which includes:
1) requiring the person to submit an application;
2) conducting a local and national criminal background check for the applicant;
3) obtaining and reviewing the applicant's driving history report; and
4) requiring TNC vehicles used by TNC drivers to meet state vehicle safety and emissions standard for private vehicles and have at a minimum an annual brake and tire inspection (A.R.S. § 28-9555).
An on-demand autonomous vehicle network is a passenger transportation network that uses a digital network or software application to connect passengers to fully autonomous vehicles for transportation, exclusively or in addition to other vehicles, including transportation for hire and transportation for compensation (A.R.S. § 28-9701).
1. Requires TNC vehicles owned by an on-demand autonomous vehicle network to meet state vehicle safety and emissions standards and have an annual brake and tire inspection.
2. Stipulates, for TNC vehicles that are 10 years old or less, the TNC driver may submit an attestation that the vehicle meets the state vehicle safety and emissions standards instead of having the annual brake and tire inspection.
3. Makes clarifying and technical changes. (Sec. 1)
6. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
7. HB 2273
8. Initials PRB Page 0 House Engrossed
10. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------