ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Second Regular Session
House: COM DPA 10-0-0-0
HB 2273: transportation network company vehicles; inspections
Sponsor: Representative Weninger, LD 17
Caucus & COW
Amends the Transportation Network Company (TNC) driver and vehicle requirements for accepting trip requests.
Title 28, Chapter 30, Article 3, A.R.S. governs TNCs. A TNC is an entity that uses a digital network or software application to connect passengers to transportation network services provided by a TNC driver. Current statute outlines responsibilities that a TNC must undertake prior to permitting a TNC driver to accept trip requests, which includes:
1) requiring the person to submit an application;
2) conducting a local and national criminal background check for the applicant;
3) obtaining and reviewing the applicant's driving history report; and
4) requiring TNC vehicles used by TNC drivers to meet state vehicle safety and emissions standard for private vehicles and have at a minimum an annual brake and tire inspection
An on-demand autonomous vehicle network is a passenger transportation network that uses a digital network or software application to connect passengers to fully autonomous vehicles for transportation, exclusively or in addition to other vehicles, including transportation for hire and transportation for compensation (A.R.S. § 28-9701).
1. Modifies TNC driver requirements, by requiring:
a) for vehicles 10 years old or less, the TNC driver to submit an attestation that the TNC vehicle meets the state vehicle safety and emissions standards; or
b) for vehicles older than 10 years, the TNC vehicle to have an annual brake and tire inspection by a qualified third party. (Sec. 1)
2. Maintains, for all TNC vehicles, the requirement that TNC vehicles must meet state safety vehicle and emissions standards. (Sec. 1)
3. Makes clarifying and technical changes. (Sec. 1)
Committee on Commerce
1. Restates the TNC driver requirement by removing language referencing vehicles older than 10 years and specifies, for vehicles 10 years or less, the TNC driver may submit an attestation that the TNC vehicle meets the state vehicle safety and emissions standards for private vehicles instead of having the minimum annual brake and tire inspection.
2. Applies the requirement for TNC vehicles to meet the state vehicle safety and emissions standards to vehicles owned by an on-demand autonomous vehicle network.
5. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
6. HB 2273
7. Initials PRB Page 0 Caucus & COW
9. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------