ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Second Regular Session
House: TRANS DP 12-0-0-0 | 3rd Read 43-16-1-0
Senate: TAT DP 7-0-2-0 | 3rd Read 27-0-3-0
HB 2271: community impact special plates
Sponsor: Representative Weninger, LD 17
Transmitted to the Governor
Establishes the Community Impact Special Plate and Fund.
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is required to provide every vehicle owner one license plate for every vehicle registered upon application and on payment of prescribed fees. Special plates may be issued by ADOT in place of the regular license plate, upon application. An initial and annual renewal fee of $25 is required for the special plate in addition to the vehicle registration fees, with outlined exceptions. Of the $25 special plate fee, $8 is an administrative fee and $17 is an annual donation to a specified organization (A.R.S. §§ 28-2351, 28-2402, 28-2403, 28-2470.02).
Special plates are established through statutory authority and require a standard $32,000 implementation fee (A.R.S. §§ 28-2470.02, 28-2470.05).
1. Instructs ADOT to issue a Community Impact Special Plate if, by December 31, 2022, a person pays $32,000 to ADOT for its implementation. (Sec. 3)
2. Specifies that the person who provides the $32,000 must design the special plate, subject to approval by ADOT. (Sec. 3)
3. Allows ADOT to combine requests for the special plate and a personalized special plate, in a form prescribed by ADOT and subject to fees for both plates. (Sec. 3)
4. Establishes the Community Impact Special Plate Fund (Fund), administered by ADOT. (sec. 3)
5. Requires that out of the $25 fee required to obtain and renew a special plate, $8 is an administrative fee and $17 is an annual donation. (Sec. 3)
6. Stipulates that the $8 administrative fee be deposited into the State Highway Fund and the $17 annual donation be deposited in the Fund. (Sec. 3)
7. Requires that the first $32,000 in the Fund be reimbursed to the person who paid the implementation fee. (Sec. 3)
8. Mandates that no more than 10% of the monies annually deposited in the Fund be used to administer the Fund. (Sec. 3)
9. Requires that the monies in the Fund be continuously appropriated. (Sec. 3)
10. Requires ADOT to annually allocate the monies from the Fund, excluding administrative fees, to a qualified charitable organization that:
a) Is headquartered in Arizona;
b) Is affiliated with a clothing brand inspired by the state and is headquartered in the state;
c) Has a mission to drive local innovation and inspire community action through supporting and empowering entrepreneurs in this state;
d) Is dedicated to the prosperity of its community members and this state through its support of local organizations; and
e) Provides both of the following:
i. Grant opportunities to entrepreneurs in this state; and
ii. Programming and mentorship for entrepreneurs in this state. (Sec. 3)
11. Requires the State Treasurer, on notice of ADOT, to invest and divest money in the Fund and to credit monies earned from investments to the Fund. (Sec. 3)
12. Makes conforming changes. (Sec. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6).
15. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
16. HB 2271
17. Initials AC/JB Page 0 Transmitted
19. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------