REFERENCE TITLE: dogs; unlawful restraint; penalties
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
Second Regular Session
Representatives Shah: Longdon
amending title 11, chapter 7, article 6.1, arizona revised statutes, by adding section 11-1030; relating to handling of animals.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 11, chapter 7, article 6.1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 11-1030, to read:
11-1030. Dogs; unlawful restraint; civil penalty; violation; classification definitions
A. An owner may not restrain a dog outside for more than one hour by use of a restraint that unreasonably limits the dog's movement or during extreme weather conditions.
b. a restraint unreasonably limits a dog's movement if the restraint:
1. uses a collar that is not properly fitted to the dog.
2. is less than ten feet in length.
3. places the dog in unsafe or unsanitary conditions, including being restrained in the back of a moving truck.
4. causes injury to the dog.
5. does not allow the dog access to food, water, shade, dry ground and shelter.
6. Has a weight attached to it.
c. a person who violates this section shall be assessed the following civil penalties:
1. for a first violation, a civil penalty of not less than $250.
2. for a second violation, the person is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor except that the person shall be sentenced to serve not less than FORTY-eight hours in jail and shall pay a fine of not less than $1,000.
3. for a third violation, the person is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor except that the person shall be sentenced to serve not less than fifteen consecutive days in jail and shall pay a fine of not less than $2,000.
d. for the purposes of this section:
1. "collar" means any collar constructed of nylon, leather, metal or similar material, specifically designed to be used on a dog.
2. "extreme weather conditions" means any of the following:
(a) the actual or effective outdoor temperature is below thirty-two degrees fahrenheit or above one hundred degrees fahrenheit.
(b) a heat advisory has been issued by a local, state or national authority for the area.
(c) a monsoon, hurricane, tropical storm, dust storm or tornado warning has been issued for the area by a local, state or national authority.
3. "owner" means a person who owns or has custody or control of a dog.
4. "properly fitted" means a collar that measures the circumference of the dog's neck plus one inch.