REFERENCE TITLE: transportation network company vehicles; inspections
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
Second Regular Session
amending section 28-9555, Arizona Revised Statutes; relating to transportation network companies.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Section 28-9555, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:
28-9555. Transportation network company duties; driver requirements
A. Before a person may accept trip requests through a digital network or software application, the transportation network company shall do all of the following:
1. Require the person to submit an application to the transportation network company that includes the person's name, address, age, driver license number, driving history, motor vehicle registration, information and motor vehicle insurance information and any other information requested by the transportation network company.
2. Conduct, or have a third party conduct, a local and national criminal background check for each applicant that includes a search of a multijurisdiction criminal records locator or similar, validated commercial nationwide database and a national sex offender registry database.
3. Obtain and review a driving history report for the applicant.
4. Require that all a transportation network company vehicles vehicle used by a transportation network company drivers meet DRIVER meets state vehicle safety and emissions standards for private vehicles and have require either of the following:
(a) If the vehicle is ten years or less from the year of manufacture, the transportation network company driver to submit an attestation that the transportation network company vehicle meets the state vehicle safety and emissions standards for private vehicles.
(b) If the vehicle is older than ten years from the year of manufacture, the vehicle to have at a minimum an annual brake and tire inspection that is performed by a qualified third party.
B. A transportation network company may not allow a person to act as a transportation network company driver who:
1. Has had more than three moving violations or one major violation pursuant to this title in the preceding three years. For the purposes of this paragraph, "major violation" includes attempting to evade the police, reckless driving or driving on a suspended or revoked license.
2. Has been convicted within the preceding seven years of violation of a serious offense as defined in section 13-706, or a violation of section 28-1381, 28-1382 or 28-1383 or title 13, chapter 14, 19, 22, 23, 34 or 35.1.
3. Is listed in a national sex offender registry database.
4. Does not possess a valid driver license.
5. Does not possess proof of registration for the motor vehicle that will be used as a transportation network company vehicle.
6. Does not possess proof of financial responsibility for the motor vehicle that will be used as a transportation network company vehicle.
7. Is not at least nineteen years of age.
C. A transportation network company or its agent shall maintain records of the criminal background check conducted on behalf of each transportation network company driver and make the records available to the department on request.