Bill Number: S.B. 1058
Pace Floor Amendment
Reference to: printed bill
1. Requires schools to post either:
a) a description of procedures or processes in place for school staff to review learning materials and activities; or
b) a statement that no such procedures exist.
2. Directs schools that post a description of procedures to post either:
a) a copy of the lesson plans or a list of learning materials and activities used on lesson plans in the current year; or
b) a list of learning materials and activities for the current year with prescribed components.
3. Specifies components not required to be included on posted lists and outlines posting methods.
4. Requires initial postings to be made by August 1, 2021, and by July 1 each year thereafter.
5. Requires postings to remain accessible for at least 12 months.
6. Modifies prescribed definitions.
First Regular Session S.B. 1058
PACE FLOOR AMENDMENT
SENATE AMENDMENTS TO S.B. 1058
(Reference to printed bill)
Page 1, line 13, after the comma insert "beginning august 1, 2021,"
Line 15, strike "list" insert "disclose"; after "website" strike remainder of line
Line 16, strike "of each year"
Strike lines 20 through 22
Page 2, between lines 2 and 3, insert:
(a) If any procedures or processes are in effect for the school principal or other staff to document, review or approve lesson plans or the learning materials and activities used for student instruction at the school, a description of the procedures or processes.
(b) If no procedures or processes are in effect for the school principal or other staff to document, review or approve lesson plans or the learning materials and activities used for student instruction at the school, a clear statement that no such procedures or processes are in effect at the school.
3. If procedures or processes as described in paragraph 2, subdivision (a) of this section are in effect at the school, at least one of the following:
(a) A copy of the lesson plans or a listing of the learning materials and activities used on the lesson plans submitted to the school principal or other staff by instructors at the school in the current year.
(b) A listing of the learning materials and activities used for instruction at the school in the current year, organized at a minimum by subject area and grade, including the following:
(i) Textbooks and required reading materials.
(iii) Digital materials.
(v) Online applications.
(vi) Grade level or schoolwide assemblies.
(vii) Guest lectures.
(viii) Other educational events facilitated by the public educational institution's staff, including those conducted by outside individuals or organizations.
C. Learning materials and activities required pursuant to subsection B, paragraph 3 of this section shall be posted on or before August 1, 2021 and on or before July 1 following the completion of each school year thereafter and may be posted on an ongoing basis before the dates prescribed in this subsection. Materials posted pursuant to this section shall remain accessible via the school website for at least twelve months.
D. If a school prepares a list of learning materials and activities pursuant to subsection B, paragraph 3, subdivision (b) of this section, the school:
1. Shall list only the information necessary to identify the specific learning materials and activities used for student instruction, including at least the title and the author, organization or internet address associated with each learning material and activity. Subsection B, paragraph 3, subdivision (b) of this section does not require either:
(a) The digital reproduction of the learning materials or activities.
(b) The separate reporting of individual components of learning materials that are produced as a single volume, except that for digital volumes containing works by multiple authors, the school shall provide either a table of contents or internet address that discloses the discrete works and authors contained within the volume.
2. May use collaborative online document or spreadsheet software that allows multiple authorized users to update or make additions to posted content on an ongoing basis."
Reletter to conform
Page 2, strike lines 19 through 33, insert:
"1. "Lesson plan" means the daily, weekly or other routinely produced guide, description or outline of the instruction to be provided by a teacher to students at the school, which may include the resources, exercises or assessments used to promote student learning."
Renumber to conform
Between lines 37 and 38, insert:
"3. "Procedures or processes" includes procedures or processes that may vary by subject area or grade."
Renumber to conform
Page 3, after line 8, insert:
"Sec. 2. Retroactivity
This act applies retroactively to from and after July 31, 2021."
Amend title to conform