Assigned to TAT                                                                                                 AS PASSED BY COMMITTEE






Fifty-Fifth Legislature, First Regular Session





transportation funding task force


Establishes the Transportation Funding Task Force (Task Force).


            The Arizona Highway User Revenue Fund (HURF) is the primary source of revenues available for highway construction and transportation in Arizona. Revenues come from gas and use fuel taxes, motor carrier fees, vehicle license tax, motor vehicle registration fees and other miscellaneous fees. The State Highway Fund receives 50.5 percent of HURF revenues for construction and maintenance of state highways, operating costs at the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) and other specified costs. The other 49.5 percent of HURF revenues are distributed to cities and counties based on statutory formulas that account for population and gas purchased in a particular city or county. Counties are also capable of calling for an election to implement a transportation excise tax in an amount not exceeding 1 percent of the state transaction privilege tax, or 0.5 percent for Maricopa County only.

There is no anticipated fiscal impact to the state General Fund associated with this legislation.


1.   Establishes the Task Force consisting of:

a)   three members from the Senate who are appointed by the President of the Senate, with not more than two members being from the same political party and one member being designated as cochairperson;

b)   three members from the House of Representatives who are appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, with not more than two members being from the same political party and one member being designated as cochairperson;

c)   the Director of ADOT or the Director's designee; and

d)   the following members who are appointed by the Governor;

i. one member from the Maricopa Association of Governments;

ii. one member from the Pima Association of Governments;

iii. one member from the Arizona league of cities and towns;

iv. one member from the county supervisors association of Arizona;

v. one member from a general contractors association in Arizona;

vi. one member from a trucking association in Arizona;

vii. one member from a transportation association that represents labor;

viii. one member from a rural transportation association;

ix. one member from the autonomous vehicle industry; and

x. two members from a public airport located in two different counties in Arizona, one of which must be from an airport located in either Maricopa or Pima county.

2.   States that appointed members serve at the pleasure of the Governor.

3.   States that Task Force members are not eligible for compensation, except that members appointed by the Governor are eligible for reimbursement of expenses.

4.   Requires the Task Force to study transportation options for Arizona and, by December 15, 2021, submit a report regarding the Task Force's activities and recommendations to the Governor, the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Representatives and submit a copy of the report to the Secretary of State.

Amendments Adopted by Committee

· Adds two members representing public airports in Arizona to the Task Force.

House Action                                                           Senate Action

TRANS           2/17/21      DPA     11-1-0-0            TAT                 3/22/21      DPA     8-0-1 

3rd Read          3/3/21                      36-21-3

Prepared by Senate Research

March 24, 2021