ARIZONA STATE SENATE
Fifty-Fifth Legislature, First Regular Session
prisoners; discharge; transition program.
Requires the Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry (ADCRR) to release at least 3,500 eligible inmates to enter the Prison Transition Program each year. Continues the Prison Transition Program for nine years.
Statute requires ADCRR to: 1) establish a transition program that provides eligible inmates with transition services in the community for up to 90 days; 2) administer the transition program and contract with private or nonprofit entities to provide eligible inmates with transition services; and 3) procure transition services. At a minimum, eligible inmates must: 1) not have been convicted of a sexual offense or arson; 2) be classified by ADCRR as a low violence risk to the community; 3) not have been convicted of a violent crime or a domestic violence offense; 4) not have any felony detainers; 5) agree in writing to provide specific information after the inmate is released; 6) have made satisfactory progress by complying with all programming on the inmate's individualized corrections plan; 7) be classified by ADCRR as minimum or medium custody as determined by an objective risk assessment; and 8) not have been found in violation of any major violent rule during the inmate's current period of incarceration or in violation of any other major rule within the previous six months. Statute requires that services offered by the transition program include psychoeducational counseling and case management services (A.R.S. § 31-281).
On July 1, 2020, Governor Ducey signed an executive order which extends the Prisoner Transition Program at ADCRR until March 31, 2021, or until the Arizona Legislature extends or terminates it (Executive Order 2020-46).
There is no anticipated fiscal impact to the state General Fund associated with this legislation.
1. Continues, retroactive to July 1, 2020, the Prison Transition Program until July 1, 2030.
2. Requires, beginning January 1, 2022, ADCRR to release at least 3,500 eligible inmates to enter a Prison Transition Program each year.
3. Removes, retroactive to July 1, 2021, the requirement that an inmate be classified by ADCRR as a low violence risk to the community to be eligible for transition services.
4. Requires ADCRR to inform a prisoner at least one month before the prisoner's discharge of the prisoner's discharge date.
5. Makes conforming changes.
6. Becomes effective on the general effective date, with retroactive provisions as noted.
Amendments Adopted by Committee
· Requires ADCRR to release at least 3,500 eligible inmates annually starting on January 1, 2022, instead of July 1, 2021.
JUD 1/21/21 DPA 8-0-0
Prepared by Senate Research
January 22, 2021