ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
HB 2905: early ballots; request required
Sponsor: Representative Hoffman, LD 12
HB 2905 originally passed the House as HB 2792 and was one of the 22 bills recently vetoed by the Governor.
Committee on Government & Elections
House: GE DPA 7-5-0-1 | 3rd Read 31-28-1-0
Within 93 days before any election, an elector is authorized to make a signed or verbal request to the county recorder or other officer in charge of elections for an official early ballot. If the request indicates that the elector needs a general and primary election ballot, the county recorder or other officer in charge of elections must honor that request. For a partisan primary election, the elector must designate the ballot of only one of the political parties and receive and vote the ballot of only that one political party, if the elector is not registered as a member of a political party that is entitled to continuous representation on the ballot (A.R.S. § 16-542).
1. Prohibits a city or town clerk, county recorder or other election officer from delivering or mailing an early ballot to a person who has not request an early ballot for that election. (Sec. 1)
2. Exempts a voter who is on the active early voting list, requests a one-time early ballot pursuant to statute or for an all-mail ballot city or school district election or certain special district mail ballot elections.(Sec. 1)
3. Stipulates that an election officer who knowingly violates this section of statute is guilty of a class 5 felony. (Sec. 1)
4. Makes technical changes. (Sec. 1)
7. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
8. HB 2905
9. Initials DC/AG Page 0 House Engrossed
11. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------