ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
House: TRANS DPA/SE 12-0-0-0 | 3rd Read 49-10-0-0
Senate: TAT DP 8-0-1-0 | 3rd Read 30-0-0-0
Final Read: 50-9-1-0
driving on right; education
NOW: right-hand driving; transfer notice; education
Sponsor: Representative Griffin, LD 14
Transmitted to the Governor
Expands the information to be included in defensive driving school courses, traffic survival schools and the Arizona Department of Transportation's (ADOT) educational materials relating to driving on right laws and the transfer of title or interest in a vehicle.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 28-721, on all roadways of sufficient width, a person is required to drive a vehicle on the right half of the roadway except as follows: 1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing the movement; 2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair; 3) On a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable on the roadway; or 4) On a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing is required to drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
ADOT requires proof of a vehicle transfer for the department to waive abandoned vehicle fees if the abandonment took place after the date of the transfer (A.R.S. § 28-4802). Additionally, a person is required to meet financial responsibility requirement for a vehicle (A.R.S. § 28-4135). A person is financially responsible for a vehicle unless the department receives proof the vehicle was sold. Proof the vehicle was sold means a written statement to the department from an owner that includes the following: The seller’s name; The VIN; The sale date and the purchaser’s name and address (17 A.C.C. 4 R17-4-401).
1. Requires defensive driving school courses and traffic survival schools to include educational information relating to driving on right laws. (Sec. 1)
2. Requires ADOT to include educational information on driving on right laws in any of the department’s examination, information and education materials. (Sec. 1)
3. Requires ADOT to include information relating to the process by which an individual may notify the department when the title to or an interest in a vehicle is transferred or assigned in the department's information and education materials. (Sec. 2)
4. Contains a delayed effective date of January 1, 2022. (Sec. 3)
5. Makes a technical change. (Sec. 2)
8. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
9. HB 2692
10. Initials JT/JR Page 0 Transmitted
12. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------