ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
House: HHS DPA 9-0-0-0
HB 2622: nonretaliation policies; health care institutions
Sponsor: Representative Shah, LD 24
Prohibits a third-party contractor of a health care institution from taking retaliatory action against a health professional.
Current law requires a licensed health care institution to adopt a procedure for reviewing reports made in good faith by a health professional concerning an activity, policy or practice that the professional reasonably believes does both of the following: 1) violates professional standards of practice or is against the law; and 2) poses a substantial risk to the health, safety or welfare of a patient (A.R.S. § 36-450.01).
Licensed health care institutions must adopt policies that prohibit retaliatory actions against a health professional who in good faith: 1) makes a report to the institution relating to an unlawful activity, policy or practice; and 2) after providing the institution with reasonable opportunity to address the report, provides information to a private health care accreditation organization or governmental entity concerning the activity, policy or practice (A.R.S. § 36-450.02).
Statute defines retaliatory action as termination of or other adverse action against a health professional's employment taken by a health care institution because the professional has made a report (A.R.S. § 36-450).
Current law states that there is a rebuttable presumption that any termination or other adverse action that occurs more than 180 days after the date of the report is not a retaliatory action (A.R.S. § 36-450.02).
1. Prohibits a third-party contractor of a health care institution from taking retaliatory action against a health professional. (Sec. 1)
2. Makes the period of time before there is a rebuttable presumption six months. (Sec. 1)
3. Defines third-party contractor as an entity that contracts with a health care institution to provide health care services in the health care institution by contracting or hiring health professionals. (Sec. 1)
4. Makes technical and conforming changes. (Sec. 1)
7. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
8. HB 2622
9. Initials EB/IR Page 0 House Engrossed
11. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------