ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
First Regular Session
HB 2060: schools; pledge; quiet reflection
Sponsor: Representative Fillmore, LD 16
Committee on Government & Elections
Current statute requires school districts and charter schools to obtain a United States flag that is manufactured in the United States and display the flag in each classroom and on or near the outside of the school building during school hours. For grades 7 through 12, these schools must additionally acquire a legible copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights of the United States and place a copy of each adjacent to each classroom flag. Additionally, school districts and charter schools must set aside a specific time each day for students who wish to recite the pledge of allegiance to the United States flag (A.R.S. § 15-506).
1. Stipulates that school districts and charter schools must set aside a time each day for kindergarten programs and grades one through four to recite the pledge of allegiance to the United States flag.
a) Requires these students to recite the pledge of allegiance during this time.
b) Specifies that the student may be excused from the requirement at the request of a parent. (Sec. 1)
2. Mandates that a specific time be set aside each day for grades 4 through 12 for students to engage in quiet reflection and moral reasoning for at least one minute.
a) Instructs the students to engage in quiet reflection and moral reasoning during this time.
b) Allows a student to be excused from the requirement with a request from their parent. (Sec. 1)
3. Makes technical and conforming changes. (Sec. 1)
6. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
7. HB 2060
8. Initials SJ Page 0 Government & Elections
10. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------