REFERENCE TITLE: nutrition assistance; benefit match; appropriation.
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
First Regular Session
Representatives John: Dunn, Fernandez, Osborne, Senators Kerr, Otondo
Amending title 46, chapter 2, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding article 2; relating to the department of economic security.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 46, chapter 2, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding article 2, to read:
ARTICLE 2. SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
46-231. Department of economic security; supplemental nutrition assistance program; appropriation; nonlapsing; definitions
A. Beginning in fiscal year 2021‑2022, the sum of $1,000,000 is appropriated annually from the state general fund to the department of economic security for the following purposes:
1. To plan, prepare and develop the infrastructure necessary to implement a produce incentive program for supplemental nutrition assistance program enrollees to purchase eligible Arizona‑grown fruits and vegetables at SNAP‑authorized farmers markets, farm stands, mobile markets, community supported agriculture sites, grocery stores and convenience stores.
2. To provide matching monies of up to $20 per participating SNAP‑authorized site per transaction for an enrollee in the supplemental nutrition assistance program to purchase eligible Arizona‑grown fruits and vegetables at the participating SNAP‑authorized site.
3. To conduct research and evaluate the produce incentive program and the impact of the program on purchases made by supplemental nutrition assistance program enrollees and producers of Arizona‑grown fruits and vegetables.
B. Monies appropriated in subsection A of this section:
1. May not be spent without matching contributions from federal, local or private sources, or any combination of those sources. Matching contributions include monies or in‑kind contributions.
2. Are nonlapsing and do not revert to the state general fund.
C. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Eligible Arizona‑grown fruits and vegetables" means any Arizona‑grown variety of fresh, canned, dried or frozen whole or cut fruits and vegetables that do not contain added sugars, fats, oils or salt.