law enforcement budget; reduction; certification
(now: law enforcement; prosecution; grants; acceptance)
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
First Regular Session
HOUSE BILL 2420
Amending section 11-201, Arizona Revised Statutes; amending title 11, chapter 2, article 4, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 11-269.27; relating to counties.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Section 11-201, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:
11-201. Powers of county
A. The powers of a county shall be exercised only by the board of supervisors or by agents and officers acting under its authority and authority of law. It has the power to:
1. Sue and be sued.
2. Purchase and hold lands within its limits.
3. Make such contracts and purchase and hold such personal property as may be necessary to the exercise of its powers.
4. Make such orders for the disposition or use of its property as the interests of the inhabitants of the county require.
5. Levy and collect taxes for purposes under its exclusive jurisdiction as are authorized by law.
6. Determine the budgets of all elected and appointed county officers enumerated under section 11-401 by action of the board of supervisors, except that the board of supervisors may not reject or otherwise interfere with a law enforcement agency's or prosecution agency's receipt of federal grant monies, award monies and other monies that are intended to supplement the budget of a law enforcement or prosecution agency as prescribed in section 11-269.27.
B. Except for the purposes of acting as an intermediary in a license transfer or sale, a county shall not own a commercial cable television system or any other pay television system.
C. Section 11-251.05, subsection A, paragraph 1 does not authorize a county to levy and collect taxes for any purposes beyond those otherwise specifically authorized by statute.
Sec. 2. Title 11, chapter 2, article 4, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 11-269.27, to read:
11-269.27. Grants; awards and other funding for operation of law enforcement or prosecution agency; required acceptance
a county board of supervisors shall accept for the operation of a law enforcement or prosecution agency federal grant monies, award monies and other monies that are intended to supplement the approved budget of the law enforcement or prosecution agency if the law enforcement or prosecution agency is otherwise eligible and qualified for the federal grant, award or other funding.