PREFILED DEC 17 2020
REFERENCE TITLE: autonomous vehicles; safety features; prohibitions
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
First Regular Session
amending title 28, chapter 3, article 16, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 28‑950; relating to vehicle safety.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 28, chapter 3, article 16, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 28-950, to read:
28-950. Autonomous vehicles; safety features; prohibited actions; exceptions; definitions
A. A Person may not install or use a defeat device to interfere with or disable a safety feature of a vehicle that is equipped with level two, three, four or five driving automation as defined in the society of automotive engineers recommended practice J3016 and that is designed to ensure that a human driver is alert and attentive while the vehicle's level two, three, four or five driving automation features are engaged.
B. This section does not apply to either:
1. An entity that is testing or operating one or more vehicles that are equipped with automated driving systems pursuant to executive orders or other programs that authorize testing or operating vehicles equipped with automated driving systems.
2. A motor vehicle manufacturer, service center, motor vehicle dealer or automated vehicle technology developer that is making motor vehicle manufacturer-approved modifications, whether physically or remotely.
C. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Automated driving system" means the hardware and software that are collectively capable of performing the entire dynamic driving task on a sustained basis, regardless of whether it is limited to a specific operational design.
2. "Install or use a defeat device" means doing any of the following:
(a) Interfering with or disabling the vehicle's computer program beyond the options that are made available by the motor vehicle manufacturer or automated vehicle technology developer.
(b) Mechanically interfering with or disabling the vehicle beyond the recommendations of the motor vehicle manufacturer or automated vehicle technology developer.
(c) Interfering with or disabling the vehicle's safety features by placing any physical device, including a weight, on the vehicle's steering wheel.
3. "Manufacturer" has the same meaning prescribed in section 28‑4301.
4. "Motor vehicle dealer" has the same meaning prescribed in section 28-4301.
5. "Society of automotive engineers recommended practice J3016" means SAE J3016 in the taxonomy and definitions for terms related to driving automation systems for on-road motor vehicles as published by SAE international in September 2016.