ARIZONA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Second Regular Session
GOV DP 7-0-0-0 | 3rd Read 29-0-1-0
SB 1303: annexation of territory; requirements
Sponsor: Senator Pratt, LD 8
Prohibits a city or town from annexing territory if the result is the unincorporated territory being surrounded by a combination of the annexing city or town and other cities or towns.
Current statute outlines the procedures required in order to extend and increase the corporate limits of a city or town by annexation. A city or town must file a blank petition in the office of the county recorder of the county in which the annexation is proposed. The petition must outline a description and accurate map of the exterior boundaries of the territory contiguous to the city or town that is proposed to be annexed.
Territory is not contiguous unless the following are true: 1) it adjoins the exterior boundary of the annexing city or town for at least 300 feet; 2) at all points, it is at least 200 feet in width, excluding rights-of-way and roadways; and 3) the distance from the boundary of the annexing city or town where it adjoins the territory being annexed to the furthest point of the annexed territory from that boundary is not more than twice the maximum width of the annexed territory (A.R.S. § 9-471).
1. Prohibits a city or town from the annexation of territory if the unincorporated territory is completely surrounded by a combination of the annexing city or town and other cities or towns as a result. (Sec. 1)
2. Specifies that the statutory contiguousness requirements do not apply to territory that at the time of annexation was already completely surrounded by the same city or town or a combination of cities and towns. (Sec. 1)
3. Makes technical changes. (Sec. 1)
6. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
7. SB 1303
8. Initials SJ Page 0 House Engrossed
10. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------