REFERENCE TITLE: motorcycle operation; passing vehicles
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
Second Regular Session
amending sections 28‑729 and 28‑903, Arizona Revised Statutes; relating to the operation of motorcycles.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Section 28-729, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:
28-729. Driving on roadways laned for traffic
If a roadway is divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic, the following rules in addition to all others consistent with this section apply:
1. Except as provided in section 28‑903, a person shall drive a vehicle as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not move the vehicle from that lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.
2. On a roadway that is divided into three lanes, a person shall not drive a vehicle in the center lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle where the roadway is clearly visible and the center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or in preparation for a left turn or where the center lane is at the time allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the direction the vehicle is proceeding and is signposted to give notice of the allocation.
3. Official signs may be erected directing slow‑moving traffic to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of the roadway, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every sign.
Sec. 2. Section 28-903, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:
28-903. Operation of motorcycle on laned street; exceptions
A. All motorcycles are entitled to the full use of a lane. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This subsection does not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.
B. Except as provided in subsection F of this section, the operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
C. Except as provided in subsection F of this section, a person shall not operate a motorcycle between the lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicles.
D. A person shall not operate a motorcycle more than two abreast in a single lane.
E. Subsections B and C do not apply to peace officers in the performance of their official duties.
F. THe operator of a two‑wheeled motorcycle may overtake and pass another vehicle that is stopped in the same direction of travel in the same lane and may operate the motorcycle between the lanes of traffic only if all of the following apply:
1. The operator is on a street that is divided into at least two adjacent traffic lanes in the same direction of travel.
2. The operator is on a street with a speed limit that does not exceed forty‑five miles per hour.
3. The motorcycle is traveling at a speed that does not exceed fifteen miles per hour.
4. The movement is not made until the operator has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.
Sec. 3. Effective date
This act is effective from and after December 31, 2020.