††††††††††† Bill Number: S.B. 1188
††††††††††† Ugenti-Rita Floor Amendment
††††††††††† Reference to: printed bill
1. Removes a voter from the Permanent Early Voting List (PEVL) solely if the voter fails to vote using an early ballot for a period of two consecutive primary and general elections.
2. Clarifies that the bill only applies to elections in which there is a federal, statewide or legislative race on the ballot.
3. Allows a county to send a notice to a voter if the voter is going to be removed from PEVL for failure to vote early, and prescribes mechanisms for the voter to get back on PEVL.
4. Adds exemptions for special districts.
First Regular Session†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† S.B. 1188
UGENTI-RITA FLOOR AMENDMENT
SENATE AMENDMENTS TO S.B. 1188
(Reference to printed bill)
Page 3, line 7, after "vote" insert "an early ballot"; after the first "in" insert "either"; strike "and" insert "or"
Line 8, after "elections" insert "for which there was a federal, statewide or legislative race on the ballot. This paragraph does not apply to:
(a) A special taxing district that is authorized pursuant to section 16-191 to conduct its own elections.
(b) A special district mail ballot election that is conducted pursuant to article 8.1 of this chapter"
Line 22, strike "by any method" insert "using an early ballot"
Line 23, before the first "the" insert "either"; strike "and" insert "or"
Line 24, after "elections" insert "for which there was a federal, statewide or legislative race on the ballot.
L. By December 1 of each even-numbered year, the county recorder or other officer in charge of elections may send a notice to each voter who is on the permanent early voting list and who did not vote an early ballot in either the primary election or the general election for the two most recent general elections for federal office. The notice shall inform the voter that if the voter wishes to remain on the permanent early voting list, the voter shall do both of the following with the notice received:
1. Confirm in writing the voterís desire to remain on the permanent early voting list.
2. Return the completed notice to the county recorder or other officer in charge of elections within thirty days after the notice is sent to the voter. The notice shall be signed by the voter and shall contain the voterís address and date of birth.
M. If a voter receives a notice as prescribed by subsection l of this section and the voter fails to respond within the thirty-day period, the county recorder or other officer in charge of elections shall remove the voterís name from the permanent early voting list"
Reletter to conform
Amend title to conform