HB 2552: state lottery; prizewinner confidentiality
PRIME SPONSOR: Representative Barto, LD 15
BILL STATUS: House Engrossed
Adds a permanent confidentiality threshold of $100,000 or more in lottery prize or winnings.
Title 5, Chapter 5.1, Arizona Revised Statutes, establishes the Arizona State Lottery and Arizona State Lottery Commission (Commission). The Commission is responsible for administering sanctioned games of chance that are both Arizona-specific and multi-state. The Commission consists of five members with no more than three from the same political party who are appointed by the Governor and serve five-year terms (A.R.S. § 5-552).
A.R.S. § 5-573 establishes the state lottery prize fund which is administered by the Commission and consists of not less than fifty per cent of the total annual revenues accruing from the sale of lottery tickets or shares. The monies in the fund are available for the payment of prizes to the holders of winning tickets. Payments to winners of an amount of $600 or more may be used to satisfy prizewinners' debts to the state. The Commission is required to provide the Department of Economic Security the name and social security number of a person who is paid a prize or winning of $600 or more to determine if the person is receiving financial assistance and if so, whether the person still qualifies for assistance after the prize or winning is awarded.
Currently, the name of the prizewinner is confidential for 90 days after the prizes or winnings are awarded. However, the prizewinner's city and county of residence are open to public record. A prizewinner may voluntarily consent to waive confidentiality.
1. Stipulates that upon request of a prizewinner that is paid a lottery prize or winnings of $100,000 or more, the name of the prizewinner is confidential and not a public record. (Sec. 1)
2. Specifies that if confidentiality is not requested, the name of the prizewinner is confidential and not a public record for 90 days from the date the prize is awarded. (Sec. 1)
3. Maintains current confidentiality requirements for all other prizewinners. (Sec. 1)
4. Makes technical changes. (Sec. 1)
7. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------
8. Fifty-fourth Legislature HB 2552
9. First Regular Session Version 3: House Engrossed
11. ---------- DOCUMENT FOOTER ---------