State of Arizona
House of Representatives
First Regular Session
HOUSE BILL 2476
amending Title 8, chapter 4, article 4, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 8-503.02; relating to child welfare and placement.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 8, chapter 4, article 4, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 8-503.02, to read:
8-503.02. Trauma-informed care training
A. The department shall provide three hours of trauma‑informed care training for every foster parent and employee of a child welfare agency who has direct contact with a child placed with the agency. Every person who is:
1. A foster parent and who maintains a foster home that is licensed on the effective date of this section or employed by a child welfare agency in a position with direct contact with a child on the effective date of this section shall complete the training within two years after the effective date of this section.
2. A foster parent and who maintains a foster home that is licensed after the effective date of this section or employed by a child welfare agency in a position with direct contact with a child after the effective date of this section shall complete the training within two years after the date the foster parent's foster home is licensed or the employee is employed by the child welfare agency.
B. The department shall work with behavioral health care providers that contract with the Arizona health care cost containment system to establish developmentally appropriate trauma‑informed care training to be offered on an ongoing basis to foster parents and employees of child welfare agencies. This training must be appropriately targeted and developmentally relevant to the children who will receive care from the person who is receiving the training and must be provided by a person who has both of the following:
1. A minimum of a master's degree in a behavioral health discipline.
2. Specialized training in infant mental health.
C. The training prescribed in subsection A of this section and the training provided pursuant to subsection B of this section must be approved by the Arizona health care cost containment system after consultation with professionals who have expertise in infant and toddler mental health.
D. The hours completed in:
1. The training prescribed in subsection A of this section may be applied to the initial foster parent and the ongoing foster parent training requirements prescribed in section 8‑509.