REFERENCE TITLE: sex offenders; electronic device monitoring
State of Arizona
First Regular Session
Senator Borrelli: Representative Barton
amending title 13, chapter 38, article 3, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 13‑3828; relating to sex offender monitoring.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 13, chapter 38, article 3, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 13-3828, to read:
13-3828. Electronic device monitoring; sex offenders; definitions
A. A person who is required to register pursuant to section 13‑3821 shall do all of the following within ten days after the person is convicted, is released from incarceration or receives notice of the requirements of this section:
1. Register each electronic device that the person possesses or uses with the department of public safety.
2. Install electronic device monitoring software that is approved by the department of public safety on each electronic device that is registered with the department.
B. A licensed electronic device monitoring company shall continuously monitor each electronic device that is registered with the department of public safety for as long as the person is required to register as a sex offender.
C. An electronic device that is provided to the person by the person's employer and that is used by the person exclusively to conduct the business of the employer is not required to be registered with the department of public safety.
D. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Electronic device" means any smart phone, tablet, computer, television or other device that is capable of accessing e-mail or content from the internet.
2. "Electronic device monitoring software" means a program that is installed on an electronic device to provide automated, continuous monitoring of e-mail and internet content that is accessed from the electronic device.
3. "Licensed electronic device monitoring company" means a company that has developed electronic device monitoring software that is approved for use by the department of public safety and that provides real time monitoring by a certified law enforcement officer of the automated output results from the electronic device monitoring software.