REFERENCE TITLE: public service corporations; hydroelectric power
State of Arizona
First Regular Session
Amending section 40‑201, Arizona Revised Statutes; relating to public service corporations.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Section 40-201, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:
A. In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Ancillary services" means those services designated as ancillary services in federal energy regulatory commission order 888 adopted in 1996 including the services necessary to support the transmission of electricity from resources to loads while maintaining reliable operation of the transmission system in accordance with good utility practice.
2. "Appliance application" means central space heating, clothes drying, water heating and indoor cooking.
3. "Bundled service" means electric service provided as a package to the consumer including all generation, transmission, distribution, ancillary and other services necessary to deliver and measure useful electricity used by consumers.
4. "Commission" means the Arizona corporation commission.
5. "Common carrier" means a railroad or street railroad.
6. "Electric distribution facilities" means all property used in connection with the distribution of electricity from an electric generating plant to retail electric customers except electric transmission facilities.
7. "Electric distribution service" means the distribution of electricity to retail electric customers through the use of electric distribution facilities.
8. "Electric distribution utility" means a public service corporation or public power entity that operates, controls or maintains electric distribution facilities.
9. "Electric generation plant" means all property used in connection with the generation for sale of electricity to retail electric customers but excluding any services provided by electric transmission facilities or electric distribution facilities.
10. "Electric generation service" means the provision of electricity for sale to retail electric customers but does not include electric distribution or transmission services and generation that are necessary for the reliable operation of the electric distribution or transmission system.
11. "Electric transmission facilities" means all property so classified by the federal energy regulatory commission or, to the extent permitted by law, so classified by the Arizona corporation commission.
12. "Electric transmission service" means the transmission of electricity to retail electric customers or to electric distribution facilities that is so classified by the federal energy regulatory commission or, to the extent permitted by law, so classified by the Arizona corporation commission.
13. "Electricity" means electric energy, electric capacity or electric capacity and energy.
14. "Electricity supplier" means a person, whether acting in a principal, agent or other capacity, that is a public service corporation that offers to sell electricity to a retail electric customer in this state.
15. "Foreign nonprofit, member owned cooperative corporation" means a cooperative incorporated in another state if that state has not ordered electric competition for cooperative corporations.
16. "Gas plant" includes all property used in connection with the production, transmission or delivery of gas for light, heat or power for sale.
17. "Other services" means metering, meter reading, billing and collecting services.
18. "Pipeline" includes all property used in transmission for compensation of air, steam or fluid substances, except water, through pipelines.
19. "Railroad" includes every railway, other than a street railroad, operated for public transportation of persons or property.
20. "Residential structure" means a detached owner‑occupied or rental one or two family dwelling unit, an attached duplex or fourplex unit, a manufactured home, a residential factory‑built building as defined in section 41‑4001 or a mobile home designed to be used with a permanent structure, excluding real property used to accommodate more than four attached dwelling units.
21. "Retail electric customer" means a person who purchases electricity for that person's own use, including use in that person's trade or business, and not for resale, redistribution or retransmission.
22. "Service territory" means the geographic area in which a public power entity or public service corporation owns, operates, controls or maintains electric distribution facilities or natural gas distribution facilities and that additional area in which the public power entity or public service corporation has agreed to extend electric distribution facilities or natural gas distribution facilities, whether established by a certificate of convenience and necessity, by official action by a public power entity or by contract or agreement.
23. "Sewer corporation" includes every person owning, controlling, operating or managing any sewage system for profit.
24. "Sewerage system" includes all property used in connection with the collection, treatment, purification and disposal transmission, storage or treatment of sewage.
25. "Street railroad" includes every railway operated along any street or public way for public transportation of persons or property, but does not include a commercial or interurban railway.
26. "Telecommunications corporation" means a public service corporation other than municipal engaged in transmitting messages or furnishing public telegraph or telephone service or operating as a telecommunications common carrier.
27. "Telegraph line" includes all property used in connection with communication by telegraph for compensation with or without the use of transmission wires.
28. "Telephone line" includes all property used in connection with communication by telephone, for compensation, with or without the use of transmission wires.
29. "Transportation of persons" includes every service in connection with the carriage and delivery of a person and the person's baggage.
30. "Transportation of property" includes every service in connection with the transportation and handling of property.
31. "Water system" includes all property used in connection with the diversion, development, storage, distribution and sale of water for beneficial uses for compensation.
B. In any rule or order adopted and issued pursuant to this chapter, whether before or after the effective date of this amendment to this section, "renewable energy" includes the use of hydroelectric power.