PREFILED JAN 04 2017
REFERENCE TITLE: municipal service access cards; requirements
State of Arizona
First Regular Session
Amending title 9, chapter 4, article 8, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 9-500.41; relating to municipal services.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 9, chapter 4, article 8, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 9-500.41, to read:
9-500.41. Municipal service access cards; requirements; prohibitions; applicability
A. If a city or town issues a municipal service access card to an individual to provide access to municipal services that the individual is entitled to receive from the city or town, the city or town shall:
1. Label the municipal service access card, in at least twelve‑point bold‑faced type, with the words "for use to access municipal services only, not an identification card".
2. List on the municipal service access card only the services that the individual to whom the card is issued is legally entitled to receive.
3. Not print the word "identification" on the card except to state that the municipal service access card is not an identification card.
B. A city or town that issues a municipal service access card that is also an identification card to an individual to access municipal services that the individual is entitled to receive from the city or town shall:
1. Adopt procedures that are at least as stringent as the procedures adopted by the motor vehicle division of the department of transportation for issuing a nonoperating identification license.
2. Require the individual to submit the same information necessary to obtain a nonoperating identification license pursuant to section 28‑3165, subsection F.
3. Accept only the documents approved by the motor vehicle division of the department of transportation as acceptable proof of identity.
C. A municipal service access card issued pursuant to this section may not Have the same color scheme or design format as a driver license issued pursuant to section 28‑3153 or a nonoperating identification license issued pursuant to section 28‑3165.
Sec. 2. Applicability; legislative findings
A. Section 9‑500.41, Arizona Revised Statutes, as added by this act, applies to all municipal service access cards issued, reissued or renewed on or after the effective date of this act. A municipal service access card that is issued before the effective date of this act is valid for one year after the effective date of this act.
B. The legislature finds that the reliability and standards for issuance of identification cards issued in this state is a matter of statewide concern. The reliability of a validly issued identification card is essential to prevent identity theft and promote commerce.