PREFILED JAN 07 2015
REFERENCE TITLE: university research infrastructure projects; appropriations
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
First Regular Session
amending Title 15, chapter 13, article 4, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 15-1671; relating to universities.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 15, chapter 13, article 4, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 15-1671, to read:
15-1671. Appropriation for university research infrastructure facilities; annual report; definitions
A. The following sums are appropriated to the Arizona board of regents in fiscal years 2017‑2018 through 2047-2048 from the state general fund for the following universities for lease-purchase capital financing for research infrastructure projects:
1. In fiscal year 2017-2018, $27,239,300 for Arizona state university, $10,206,100 for northern Arizona university and $30,573,500 for the university of Arizona.
2. In fiscal years 2018-2019 and for each fiscal year thereafter through 2047‑2048, $29,059,600 for Arizona state university, $10,897,300 for northern Arizona university and $32,692,000 for the university of Arizona.
B. Lease-purchase financing agreements pursuant to subsection A of this section:
1. Shall be entered into before July 1, 2017.
2. Are subject to the requirements of section 15-1682.01.
3. Are exempt from section 15-1683, subsection A, paragraph 1, subdivision (a) and may not be included in the debt calculation established pursuant to section 15-1683, subsection A, paragraph 1, subdivision (a).
C. The appropriations prescribed by subsection A of this section constitute continuing year-to-year appropriations but do not constitute an obligation of the legislature or this state to continue the appropriation in any fiscal year. The annual appropriation is a current expense of this state in the fiscal year in which it occurs and does not constitute general obligation indebtedness of this state, the Arizona board of regents or any university. If the appropriation is discontinued in any fiscal year, this state, the Arizona board of regents and the university are relieved of any subsequent obligation pursuant to this section.
D. State construction sales tax monies accruing to the state for projects pursuant to this section are continuously appropriated to each university in an amount equivalent to the amount paid into this state for those projects.
E. If the annual appropriation to the Arizona board of regents for a university pursuant to subsection A of this section exceeds the annual lease‑purchase payment amount in any fiscal year, the university may use excess monies for building renewal projects.
F. For each fiscal year in which projects are financed and under construction pursuant to this section, the Arizona board of regents shall submit to the governor, the speaker of the house of representatives and the president of the senate an annual report that details the steps taken to ensure that construction companies based in this state have ample opportunity to compete for the projects prescribed by this section and that lists the companies that were awarded contracts for these projects and the number of jobs generated in this state by these projects.
G. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Building renewal" has the same meaning prescribed in section 41‑790.
2. "Research infrastructure" means installations and facilities for the continuance and growth of scientific and technological research activities at a university under the jurisdiction of the Arizona board of regents or facilities to be used for health, scientific, technological, engineering or mathematics education.