!Creation Date: 09/17/22> <!Author: Arizona Legislative Council> <!Typist: dbupdate>
In this article and article 2 of this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Business" includes all activities or acts, personal or corporate, that are engaged in or caused to be engaged in with the object of gain, benefit or advantage, either directly or indirectly, but does not include either:
(a) Casual activities or sales.
(b) The transfer of electricity from a solar photovoltaic generation system to an electric utility distribution system.
2. "Distribution base" means the portion of the revenues derived from the tax levied by this article and articles 5 and 8 of this chapter designated for distribution to counties, municipalities and other purposes according to section 42-5029, subsection D.
3. "Engaging", when used with reference to engaging or continuing in business, includes the exercise of corporate or franchise powers.
4. "Gross income" means the gross receipts of a taxpayer derived from trade, business, commerce or sales and the value proceeding or accruing from the sale of tangible personal property or service, or both, and without any deduction on account of losses.
5. "Gross proceeds of sales" means the value proceeding or accruing from the sale of tangible personal property without any deduction on account of the cost of property sold, expense of any kind or losses, but cash discounts allowed and taken on sales are not included as gross income.
6. Gross income and gross proceeds of sales do not include goods, wares or merchandise, or the value thereof, returned by customers if the sale price is refunded either in cash or by credit, or the value of merchandise traded in on the purchase of new merchandise when the trade-in allowance is deducted from the sales price of the new merchandise before completion of the sale.
7. "Gross receipts" means the total amount of the sale, lease or rental price, as the case may be, of the retail sales of retailers, including any services that are a part of the sales, valued in money, whether received in money or otherwise, including all receipts, cash, credits and property of every kind or nature, and any amount for which credit is allowed by the seller to the purchaser without any deduction from the amount on account of the cost of the property sold, materials used, labor or service performed, interest paid, losses or any other expense. Gross receipts do not include cash discounts allowed and taken or the sale price of property returned by customers if the full sale price is refunded either in cash or by credit.
8. "Marketplace" means a physical or electronic place, platform or forum, including a store, booth, internet website, catalog or dedicated sales software application, where products, including tangible personal property, are offered for sale.
9. "Marketplace facilitator":
(a) Means a person that facilitates a retail sale by a marketplace seller by listing or advertising for sale by the marketplace seller in a marketplace tangible personal property and, either directly or indirectly, through agreements or arrangements with third parties collecting payment from the purchaser and transmitting that payment to the marketplace seller, regardless of whether the marketplace facilitator receives compensation for the marketplace facilitator's services.
(b) Does not include a payment processor business that is appointed to handle payment transactions from various channels, such as charge cards, credit cards and debit cards, and whose sole activity with respect to marketplace sales is to handle transactions between two parties.
10. "Marketplace seller" means a person that makes retail sales through any physical or electronic marketplace that is operated by a marketplace facilitator.
11. "Person" or "company" includes an individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, corporation, estate, trust, marketplace facilitator or remote seller, this state, any county, city, town, district, other than a school district, or other political subdivision and any other group or combination acting as a unit, and the plural as well as the singular number.
12. "Qualifying community health center":
(a) Means an entity that is recognized as nonprofit under section 501(c)(3) of the United States internal revenue code, that is a community-based, primary care clinic that has a community-based board of directors and that is either:
(i) The sole provider of primary care in the community.
(ii) A nonhospital affiliated clinic that is located in a federally designated medically underserved area in this state.
(b) Includes clinics that are being constructed as qualifying community health centers.
13. "Qualifying health care organization" means an entity that is recognized as nonprofit under section 501(c) of the United States internal revenue code and that uses, saves or invests at least eighty percent of all monies that it receives from all sources each year only for health and medical related educational and charitable services, as documented by annual financial audits prepared by an independent certified public accountant, performed according to generally accepted auditing standards and filed annually with the department. Monies that are used, saved or invested to lease, purchase or construct a facility for health and medical related education and charitable services are included in the eighty percent requirement.
14. "Qualifying health sciences educational institution" means an entity that is recognized as nonprofit under section 501(c) of the United States internal revenue code and that solely provides graduate and postgraduate education in the health sciences. For the purposes of this paragraph, "health sciences" includes medicine, nursing, physician's assistant studies, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, biomedical sciences, podiatry, clinical psychology, cardiovascular science, nurse anesthesia, dentistry, optometry and veterinary medicine.
15. "Qualifying hospital" means any of the following:
(a) A licensed hospital that is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.
(b) A licensed nursing care institution or a licensed residential care institution or a residential care facility operated in conjunction with a licensed nursing care institution or a licensed kidney dialysis center that provides medical services, nursing services or health related services and that is not used or held for profit.
(c) A hospital, nursing care institution or residential care institution that is operated by the federal government, this state or a political subdivision of this state.
(d) A facility that is under construction and that on completion will be a facility under subdivision (a), (b) or (c) of this paragraph.
16. "Remote seller" means a person that sells products for delivery into this state and that does not have a physical presence or other legal requirement to obtain a transaction privilege tax license in this state other than because the person's business exceeds the threshold provided in section 42-5044.
17. "Retailer" includes every person engaged in the business classified under the retail classification pursuant to section 42-5061 and, when in the opinion of the department it is necessary for the efficient administration of this article, includes dealers, distributors, supervisors, employers and salesmen, representatives, peddlers or canvassers as the agents of the dealers, distributors, supervisors or employers under whom they operate or from whom they obtain the tangible personal property sold by them, whether in making sales on their own behalf or on behalf of the dealers, distributors, supervisors or employers.
18. "Sale" means any transfer of title or possession, or both, exchange, barter, lease or rental, conditional or otherwise, in any manner or by any means whatever, including consignment transactions and auctions and transactions facilitated by a marketplace facilitator on behalf of a marketplace seller, of tangible personal property or other activities taxable under this chapter, for a consideration, and includes:
(a) Any transaction by which the possession of property is transferred but the seller retains the title as security for the payment of the price.
(b) Fabricating tangible personal property for consumers who furnish either directly or indirectly the materials used in the fabrication work.
(c) Furnishing, preparing or serving for a consideration any tangible personal property consumed on the premises of the person furnishing, preparing or serving the tangible personal property.
19. "Solar daylighting" means a device that is specifically designed to capture and redirect the visible portion of the solar beam, while controlling the infrared portion, for use in illuminating interior building spaces in lieu of artificial lighting.
20. "Solar energy device" means a system or series of mechanisms that are designed primarily to provide heating, to provide cooling, to produce electrical power, to produce mechanical power, to provide solar daylighting or to provide any combination of the foregoing by means of collecting and transferring solar generated energy into such uses either by active or passive means, including wind generator systems that produce electricity. Solar energy systems may also have the capability of storing solar energy for future use. Passive systems shall clearly be designed as a solar energy device, such as a trombe wall, and not merely as a part of a normal structure, such as a window.
21. "Tangible personal property" means personal property that may be seen, weighed, measured, felt or touched or that is in any other manner perceptible to the senses.
22. "Taxpayer" means any person who is liable for any tax imposed by this article.
23. "Tax year" or "taxable year" means either the calendar year or the taxpayer's fiscal year, if permission is obtained from the department to use a fiscal year as the tax period instead of the calendar year.
24. "Wholesaler" or "jobber" means any person who sells tangible personal property for resale and not for consumption by the purchaser.