In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Commissioner of social security" includes any individual to whom the commissioner of social security has delegated any of the commissioner's functions under the social security act with respect to coverage under the act of employees of states and their political subdivisions.
2. "Employee" means any person in the employ of this state or a political subdivision of this state and includes an elective or appointive officer of this state or an eligible political subdivision of this state.
3. "Employment" means any service performed by an employee in the employ of this state or a political subdivision of this state, for the employer, except service that in the absence of an agreement entered into under this article would constitute "employment" as defined in the social security act, or service that under the social security act may not be included in an agreement between this state and the commissioner of social security entered into under this article.
4. "Political subdivision" includes counties, incorporated cities or towns and school districts in this state, and any other political subdivision as defined in article XIII, section 7, Constitution of Arizona.
5. "Social security act" means the federal social security act (42 United States Code chapter 7), including regulations and requirements issued pursuant to that act.
6. "State agency" means the state agency that is designated by the governor to serve as the social security administrator for this state under the federal old age and survivors insurance system.