36-798.06. Delivery sales prohibited; common carriers; civil penalty; forfeiture; unlawful practice; exceptions; violation; classification; definitions
A. A person shall not do either of the following:
1. Cause a tobacco product to be ordered or purchased by anyone other than a licensed person or a retailer who orders or purchases from a licensed person, including by ordering or purchasing a tobacco product.
2. Knowingly provide substantial assistance to a person who violates this section.
B. A common carrier shall not knowingly transport a tobacco product for a person who is in violation of this section.
C. Each order or purchase of a tobacco product in violation of subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section constitutes a separate violation under this section.
D. In addition to any other penalty, a person who violates this section is subject to all of the following:
1. A civil penalty in an amount not to exceed five thousand dollars for each violation.
2. An injunction to restrain a threatened or actual violation of this section.
3. Recovery by this state for:
(a) The costs of any investigation related to a violation of this section.
(b) The cost of expert witness fees in any action related to a violation of this section.
(c) The cost of the action related to a violation of this section.
(d) Reasonable attorney fees.
4. All state tobacco taxes due under title 42, chapter 3, except as prohibited under section 42-3402, and all transaction privilege or use taxes due under title 42, chapter 5, including any penalties and interest.
E. All tobacco products that are seized for a violation of this section shall be forfeited to the state and destroyed pursuant to section 42-1124.
F. A violation of this section is an unlawful practice under section 44-1522 and is in addition to all other causes of action, remedies and penalties that are available to this state. The attorney general may investigate and take appropriate action pursuant to title 44, chapter 10, article 7.
G. This section does not apply to either of the following:
1. The shipment of a tobacco product to a foreign trade zone that is established under 19 United States Code section 81 and title 44, chapter 18 and that is located in this state if the tobacco product is from outside of this country, was ordered by a distributor in another state and is not distributed in this state.
2. A government employee who is acting in the course of the employee's official duties.
H. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 6 felony.
I. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Licensed person" means a person who is required to be licensed under section 42-3401.
2. "Order or purchase" means any of the following:
(a) By mail or delivery service.
(b) Through the internet or a computer network.
(c) By telephone.
(d) Through any other electronic method.
3. "Person" means an individual, partnership, firm, association, corporation, limited liability company or partnership, joint venture or other entity.
4. "Retailer" has the same meaning prescribed in section 42-5001.
5. "Tobacco product" means all luxuries included in section 42-3052, paragraphs 5, 6 and 7. Tobacco product does not include pipe tobacco or cigars.