36-401. Definitions; adult foster care
A. In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Accredited health care institution" means a health care institution, other than a hospital, that is currently accredited by a nationally recognized accreditation organization.
2. "Accredited hospital" means a hospital that is currently accredited by a nationally recognized organization on hospital accreditation.
3. "Adult behavioral health therapeutic home" means a residence for individuals who are at least eighteen years of age, have behavioral health issues and need behavioral health services that does all of the following for those individuals:
(a) Provides room and board.
(b) Assists in acquiring daily living skills.
(c) Coordinates transportation to scheduled appointments.
(d) Monitors behaviors.
(e) Assists in the self-administration of medication.
(f) Provides feedback to case managers related to behavior.
4. "Adult day health care facility" means a facility that provides adult day health services during a portion of a continuous twenty-four-hour period for compensation on a regular basis for five or more adults who are not related to the proprietor.
5. "Adult day health services" means a program that provides planned care supervision and activities, personal care, personal living skills training, meals and health monitoring in a group setting during a portion of a continuous twenty-four-hour period. Adult day health services may also include preventive, therapeutic and restorative health-related services that do not include behavioral health services.
6. "Adult foster care home" means a residential setting that provides room and board and adult foster care services for at least one and not more than four adults who are participants in the Arizona long-term care system pursuant to chapter 29, article 2 of this title or contracts for services with the United States department of veterans affairs and in which the sponsor or the manager resides with the residents and integrates the residents who are receiving adult foster care into that person's family.
7. "Adult foster care services" means supervision, assistance with eating, bathing, toileting, dressing, self-medication and other routines of daily living or services authorized by rules adopted pursuant to section 36-405 and section 36-2939, subsection C.
8. "Assisted living center" means an assisted living facility that provides resident rooms or residential units to eleven or more residents.
9. "Assisted living facility" means a residential care institution, including an adult foster care home, that provides or contracts to provide supervisory care services, personal care services or directed care services on a continuous basis.
10. "Assisted living home" means an assisted living facility that provides resident rooms to ten or fewer residents.
11. "Behavioral health services" means services that pertain to mental health and substance use disorders and that are either:
(a) Performed by or under the supervision of a professional who is licensed pursuant to title 32 and whose scope of practice allows the professional to provide these services.
(b) Performed on behalf of patients by behavioral health staff as prescribed by rule.
12. "Construction" means building, erecting, fabricating or installing a health care institution.
13. "Continuous" means available at all times without cessation, break or interruption.
14. "Controlling person" means a person who:
(a) Through ownership, has the power to vote at least ten percent of the outstanding voting securities.
(b) If the applicant or licensee is a partnership, is the general partner or a limited partner who holds at least ten percent of the voting rights of the partnership.
(c) If the applicant or licensee is a corporation, an association or a limited liability company, is the president, the chief executive officer, the incorporator or any person who owns or controls at least ten percent of the voting securities. For the purposes of this subdivision, corporation does not include nonprofit corporations.
(d) Holds a beneficial interest in ten percent or more of the liabilities of the applicant or the licensee.
15. "Department" means the department of health services.
16. "Directed care services" means programs and services, including supervisory and personal care services, that are provided to persons who are incapable of recognizing danger, summoning assistance, expressing need or making basic care decisions.
17. "Direction" means authoritative policy or procedural guidance to accomplish a function or activity.
18. "Director" means the director of the department.
19. "Facilities" means buildings that are used by a health care institution for providing any of the types of services as defined in this chapter.
20. "Freestanding urgent care center":
(a) Means an outpatient treatment center that, regardless of its posted or advertised name, meets any of the following requirements:
(i) Is open twenty-four hours a day, excluding at its option weekends or certain holidays, but is not licensed as a hospital.
(ii) Claims to provide unscheduled medical services that are not otherwise routinely available in primary care physician offices.
(iii) By its posted or advertised name, gives the impression to the public that it provides medical care for urgent, immediate or emergency conditions.
(iv) Routinely provides ongoing unscheduled medical services for more than eight consecutive hours for an individual patient.
(b) Does not include the following:
(i) A medical facility that is licensed under a hospital's license and that uses the hospital's medical provider number.
(ii) A qualifying community health center pursuant to section 36-2907.06.
(iii) Any other health care institution licensed pursuant to this chapter.
(iv) A physician's office that offers extended hours or same-day appointments to existing and new patients and that does not meet the requirements of subdivision (a), item (i), (iii) or (iv) of this paragraph.
21. "Governing authority" means the individual, agency, partners, group or corporation, whether appointed, elected or otherwise designated, in which the ultimate responsibility and authority for the conduct of the health care institution are vested.
22. "Health care institution" means every place, institution, building or agency, whether organized for profit or not, that provides facilities with medical services, nursing services, behavioral health services, health screening services, other health-related services, supervisory care services, personal care services or directed care services and includes home health agencies as defined in section 36-151, outdoor behavioral health care programs and hospice service agencies.
23. "Health-related services" means services, other than medical, that pertain to general supervision, protective, preventive and personal care services, supervisory care services or directed care services.
24. "Health screening services" means the acquisition, analysis and delivery of health-related data of individuals to aid in determining the need for medical services.
25. "Hospice" means a hospice service agency or the provision of hospice services in an inpatient facility.
26. "Hospice service" means a program of palliative and supportive care for terminally ill persons and their families or caregivers.
27. "Hospice service agency" means an agency or organization, or a subdivision of that agency or organization, that provides hospice services at the place of residence of its clients.
28. "Inpatient beds" or "resident beds" means accommodations with supporting services, such as food, laundry and housekeeping, for patients or residents who generally stay in excess of twenty-four hours.
29. "Intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities" has the same meaning prescribed in section 36-551.
30. "Licensed capacity" means the total number of persons for whom the health care institution is authorized by the department to provide services as required pursuant to this chapter if the person is expected to stay in the health care institution for more than twenty-four hours. For a hospital, licensed capacity means only those beds specified on the hospital license.
31. "Medical services" means the services that pertain to medical care and that are performed at the direction of a physician on behalf of patients by physicians, dentists, nurses and other professional and technical personnel.
32. "Modification" means the substantial improvement, enlargement, reduction or alteration of or other change in a health care institution.
33. "Nonproprietary institution" means any health care institution that is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, or that is operated by the state or any political subdivision of the state.
34. "Nursing care institution" means a health care institution that provides inpatient beds or resident beds and nursing services to persons who need continuous nursing services but who do not require hospital care or direct daily care from a physician.
35. "Nursing services" means those services that pertain to the curative, restorative and preventive aspects of nursing care and that are performed at the direction of a physician by or under the supervision of a registered nurse licensed in this state.
36. "Nursing-supported group home" means a health care institution that is a community residential setting as defined in section 36-551 for not more than six persons with developmental disabilities, that is operated by a service provider under contract with the department of economic security and that provides room and board, daily habilitation and continuous nursing support and intervention.
37. "Organized medical staff" means a formal organization of physicians, and dentists if appropriate, with the delegated authority and responsibility to maintain proper standards of medical care and to plan for continued betterment of that care.
38. "Outdoor behavioral health care program" means an agency that provides behavioral health services in an outdoor environment as an alternative to behavioral health services that are provided in a health care institution with facilities. Outdoor behavioral health care programs do not include:
(a) Programs, facilities or activities that are operated by a government entity or that are licensed by the department as a child care program pursuant to chapter 7.1 of this title.
(b) Outdoor activities for youth that are designated to be primarily recreational and that are organized by church groups, scouting organizations or similar groups.
(c) Outdoor youth programs that are licensed by the department of economic security.
39. "Personal care services" means assistance with activities of daily living that can be performed by persons without professional skills or professional training and includes the coordination or provision of intermittent nursing services and the administration of medications and treatments by a nurse who is licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 15 or as otherwise provided by law.
40. "Physician" means any person who is licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 13 or 17.
41. "Recidivism reduction services" means services that are delivered by an adult residential care institution to its residents to encourage lawful behavior and to discourage or prevent residents who are suspected of, charged with or convicted of one or more criminal offenses, or whose mental health and substance use can be reasonably expected to place them at risk for the future threat of prosecution, diversion or incarceration, from engaging in future unlawful behavior.
42. "Recidivism reduction staff" means a person who provides recidivism reduction services.
43. "Residential care institution" means a health care institution other than a hospital or a nursing care institution that provides resident beds or residential units, supervisory care services, personal care services, behavioral health services, directed care services or health-related services for persons who do not need continuous nursing services.
44. "Residential unit" means a private apartment, unless otherwise requested by a resident, that includes a living and sleeping space, kitchen area, private bathroom and storage area.
45. "Respite care services" means services that are provided by a licensed health care institution to persons who are otherwise cared for in foster homes and in private homes to provide an interval of rest or relief of not more than thirty days to operators of foster homes or to family members.
46. "Substantial compliance" means that the nature or number of violations revealed by any type of inspection or investigation of a health care institution does not pose a direct risk to the life, health or safety of patients or residents.
47. "Supervision" means directly overseeing and inspecting the act of accomplishing a function or activity.
48. "Supervisory care services" means general supervision, including daily awareness of resident functioning and continuing needs, the ability to intervene in a crisis and assistance in self-administering prescribed medications.
49. "Temporary license" means a license that is issued by the department to operate a class or subclass of a health care institution at a specific location and that is valid until an initial licensing inspection.
50. "Unscheduled medical services" means medically necessary periodic health care services that are unanticipated or cannot reasonably be anticipated and that require medical evaluation or treatment before the next business day.
B. If there are fewer than four Arizona long-term care system participants receiving adult foster care in an adult foster care home, nonparticipating adults may receive other types of services that are authorized by law to be provided in the adult foster care home as long as the number of adults served, including the Arizona long-term care system participants, does not exceed four.
C. Nursing care services may be provided by the adult foster care licensee if the licensee is a nurse who is licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 15 and the services are limited to those allowed pursuant to law. The licensee shall keep a record of nursing services rendered.