In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Gross weight" means the weight of a vehicle without a load plus the weight of any load on the vehicle.
2. "License" means any license, temporary instruction permit or temporary license issued under the laws of this state or any other state pertaining to the licensing of persons to operate motor vehicles.
3. "Police officer" means an officer authorized to direct or regulate traffic or make arrests for violations of traffic rules or for other offenses.
4. "Stop", if required, means complete cessation from movement.
5. "Stop, stopping or standing", if prohibited, means any stopping or standing of an occupied or unoccupied vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with directions of a police officer or traffic control sign or signal.
6. "Traffic" means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles and other conveyances either singly or together while using a highway for purposes of travel.