28-1179. Off-highway vehicle equipment requirements; rule making; exception
A. An off-highway vehicle in operation in this state shall be equipped with all of the following:
1. Brakes adequate to control the movement of the vehicle and to stop and hold the vehicle under normal operating conditions.
2. Lighted headlights and taillights that meet or exceed original equipment manufacturer guidelines if operated between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise.
3. Except when operating on a closed course, either a muffler or other noise dissipative device that prevents sound above ninety-six decibels. The director shall adopt the current sound measurement standard of the society of automotive engineers for all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles and the current sound measurement standard of the international organization for standardization for all other off-highway vehicles.
4. A spark arrestor device that is approved by the United States department of agriculture and that is in constant operation except if operating on a closed course.
5. A safety flag that is at least six by twelve inches and that is attached to the off-highway vehicle at least eight feet above the surface of level ground, if operated on sand dunes or areas designated by the managing agency.
B. A person who is under eighteen years of age may not operate or ride on an off-highway vehicle on public or state land unless the person is wearing protective headgear that is properly fitted and fastened, that is designed for motorized vehicle use and that has a minimum United States department of transportation safety rating.
C. In consultation with the department of transportation, the Arizona game and fish commission may:
1. Adopt rules necessary to implement this section.
2. Prescribe additional equipment requirements not in conflict with federal laws.
D. This section does not apply to a private landowner or lessee performing normal agricultural or ranching practices while operating an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle on the private or leased land in accordance with the landowner's or lessee's lease.