!Creation Date: 09/16/22> <!Author: Arizona Legislative Council> <!Typist: dbupdate>
15-2301. Hazing prevention policies; definitions
A. Every public educational institution in this state shall adopt, post and enforce a hazing prevention policy. The hazing prevention policy shall be printed in every student handbook for distribution to parents and students. Each hazing prevention policy shall include:
1. A definition of hazing pursuant to subsection C, paragraph 2 of this section.
2. A statement that hazing is prohibited.
3. A statement that any solicitation to engage in hazing is prohibited.
4. A statement that aiding and abetting another person who is engaged in hazing is prohibited.
5. A statement that it is not a defense to a violation of the hazing prevention policy if the hazing victim consented to or acquiesced in the hazing activity.
6. A statement that all students, teachers and staff shall take reasonable measures within the scope of their individual authority to prevent violations of the hazing prevention policy.
7. A description of the procedures for students, teachers and staff to report violations of the hazing prevention policy and the procedures to file a complaint for a violation of the hazing prevention policy.
8. Procedures to investigate reports of violations of the hazing prevention policy and to investigate complaints for a violation of the hazing prevention policy.
9. A description of the circumstances under which a violation of the hazing prevention policy shall be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
10. A description of appropriate penalties, sanctions and appeals mechanisms for persons and organizations that violate the hazing prevention policy. The sanctions shall include the revocation or suspension of an organization's permission to conduct operations at the educational institution if the organization knowingly allowed, authorized or condoned the hazing activity. Any teacher or staff who knowingly allowed, authorized or condoned the hazing activity is subject to disciplinary action by the educational institution.
B. Violations of hazing prevention policies adopted pursuant to this section do not include either of the following:
1. Customary athletic events, contests or competitions that are sponsored by an educational institution.
2. Any activity or conduct that furthers the goals of a legitimate educational curriculum, a legitimate extracurricular program or a legitimate military training program.
C. For purposes of this section:
1. "Educational institution" means any of the following:
(a) A public school that provides instruction to pupils in any combination of kindergarten programs and grades one through twelve.
(b) A public community college or a vocational education program that provides academic instruction or training not exceeding two years' duration in the arts, sciences and humanities beyond the twelfth grade of the public or private high school course of study.
(c) Any public college or university that provides academic instruction beyond the twelfth grade of the public or private high school course of study and that offers any combination of baccalaureate, master's or doctoral degrees to students that complete specified academic requirements.
2. "Hazing" means an act in violation of section 13-1215 or 13-1216.
3. "Organization" means an athletic team, association, order, society, corps, cooperative, club or other similar group that is affiliated with an educational institution and whose membership consists primarily of students enrolled at that educational institution.
4. "Student" means any person who is enrolled at an educational institution, any person who has been promoted or accepted for enrollment at an educational institution or any person who intends to enroll at or be promoted to an educational institution within the next twelve calendar months. The hazing prevention policy of the educational institution where a person has been accepted for or promoted to enrollment, or where a person intends to enroll or be promoted to within the next twelve calendar months, shall be the effective policy. A person who meets the definition of a student for purposes of this paragraph shall continue to be defined as a student for purposes of this section until the person graduates, transfers, is promoted or withdraws from the educational institution.