15-120. Suicide prevention training; approved materials; posting; immunity; spending classification
A. Beginning in the 2020-2021 school year, school districts and charter schools shall provide training in suicide awareness and prevention for school guidance counselors, teachers, principals and other school personnel who work with pupils in grades six through twelve. Each person who is required to obtain training pursuant to this section shall complete that training at least once every three years. The training must include:
1. Training in suicide prevention.
2. Training to identify the warning signs of suicidal behavior in adolescents and teens.
3. Appropriate intervention and referral techniques.
B. The training prescribed in subsection A of this section:
1. Must use evidence-based training materials.
2. May be provided within the framework of existing in-service training programs offered by the school district or charter school or as part of professional development activities.
C. The Arizona health care cost containment system administration shall make available suicide prevention training that complies with the requirements of this section and post this training information on the administration's website. On or before July 1, 2020, the administration shall identify or develop and post on the administration's website a list of approved materials that schools may use to provide the training prescribed in subsection A of this section. The administration shall annually update these approved materials.
D. School personnel, entities or any other persons are not civilly liable for any actions taken in good faith pursuant to this section except in cases of gross negligence, wilful misconduct or intentional wrongdoing.
E. The auditor general shall classify any costs incurred by school districts in implementing this section as classroom spending for the purposes of the annual report prepared pursuant to section 41-1279.03, subsection A, paragraph 9.