13-3721. Tattoos, brands, scarifications and piercings; minors; anesthesia; exception; defense; violation; classification; definitions
A. It is unlawful for a person:
1. To intentionally brand, scarify, implant, mutilate, tattoo or pierce the body of a person who is under eighteen years of age without the physical presence of the parent or legal guardian of the person requesting the brand, scar, tattoo, implant, mutilation or piercing.
2. Who tattoos or pierces the body of another person to use a needle or any substance that will leave color under the skin more than once or to use a needle that is not sterilized with equipment used by state licensed medical facilities pursuant to title 36, chapter 4.
3. To engage in the business of tattooing, branding, scarifying, implanting, mutilating or body piercing out of a home or an impermanent structure, including a tent, trailer, trunk or other impermanent structure.
4. Who is not licensed pursuant to title 32 to administer anesthesia during the course of any procedure involving the branding, scarifying, tattooing, implanting, mutilating or piercing of the body of another person.
B. Subsection A, paragraph 1 does not apply to the ear piercing of a person who has written or verbal permission from a parent or legal guardian or to procedures that are prescribed by a health care provider who is licensed pursuant to title 32.
C. It is a defense to a prosecution for a violation of subsection A, paragraph 1 that the person requested age identification and relied in good faith on the accuracy of the information contained in the identification.
D. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 6 felony.
E. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Implant", "mutilate", "brand", "scarify" or "pierce" means to mark the skin or other body part with any indelible design, letter, scroll, figure, symbol or other mark that is placed by the aid of instruments on or under the skin or body part and that cannot be removed without a surgical procedure or any design, letter, scroll, figure, symbol or other mark done by scarring on or under the skin or other body part. Implant does not include cosmetic implants.
2. "Tattoo" means to mark the skin with any indelible design, letter, scroll, figure, symbol or any other mark that is placed by the aid of needles or other instruments upon or under the skin with any substance that will leave color under the skin and that cannot be removed, repaired or reconstructed without a surgical procedure or any design, letter, scroll, figure, symbol or other mark done by scarring upon or under the skin.