12-2902. Payment rights; transfer conditions
A. Direct or indirect transfer of structured settlement payment rights shall not be effective and a structured settlement obligor or annuity issuer shall not be required to make any payment directly or indirectly to any transferee of structured settlement payment rights unless the transfer has been authorized in advance in a final order of a court of competent jurisdiction or responsible administrative authority.
B. Before issuing a final order pursuant to subsection A, the court or responsible administrative authority shall expressly find that:
1. The transfer complies with the requirements of this chapter and will not contravene any other applicable law.
2. Not less than three days before the date on which the payee signed the transfer agreement, the transferee provided to the payee a disclosure statement in bold type, no smaller than fourteen points, setting forth:
(a) The amounts and due dates of the structured settlement payments to be transferred.
(b) The aggregate amount of the payments.
(c) The discounted present value of the payments to be transferred, which shall be identified as the calculation of current value of the transferred structured settlement payments under federal standards for valuing annuities, and the amount of the applicable federal rate used in calculating the discounted present value.
(d) The gross advance amount that is payable to the payee in exchange for the payments.
(e) An itemized listing of all applicable transfer expenses, other than attorney fees and related disbursements payable in connection with the transferee's application for approval of the transfer, and the transferee's best estimate of the amount of attorney fees and related disbursements.
(f) The net advance amount that is payable to the payee after deduction of all commissions, fees, costs, expenses and charges listed in subdivision (e) of this paragraph.
(g) A statement that the payee has the right to cancel the transfer agreement, without penalty or further obligation, not later than the third business day after the date the agreement is signed by the payee.
(h) The amount of any penalty and the aggregate amount of any liquidated damages inclusive of penalties that are payable by the payee in the event of any breach of the transfer agreement by the payee.
3. The transfer is in the best interest of the payee, taking into account the welfare and support of the payee's dependents.
4. The payee has been advised in writing by the transferee to seek independent professional advice regarding the transfer and has either received the advice or knowingly waived the advice in writing.
5. If the transfer would contravene any applicable statute or the order of any court or other government authority.
C. Following a transfer of structured settlement payment rights under this chapter:
1. The structured settlement obligor and the annuity issuer shall, as to all parties except the transferee, be discharged and released from any and all liability for the transferred payments.
2. The transferee shall be liable to the structured settlement obligor and the annuity issuer:
(a) If the transfer contravenes the terms of the structured settlement, for any taxes incurred by such parties as a consequence of the transfer.
(b) For any other liabilities or costs, including reasonable costs and attorney fees, arising from compliance by such parties with the order of the court or responsible administrative authority or arising as a consequence of the transferee's failure to comply with this act.