In section 13-1208 and in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Animal" means any animal of a species that is susceptible to rabies, except man.
2. "At large" means being neither confined by an enclosure nor physically restrained by a leash.
3. "County board of health" means the duly constituted board of health of each county.
4. "County enforcement agent" means that person in each county who is responsible for enforcing this article and the rules adopted under this article.
5. "County pound" means any establishment that is authorized by the county board of supervisors to confine, maintain, safekeep and control dogs and other animals that come into the custody of the county enforcement agent in the performance of the county enforcement agent's official duties.
6. "Department" means the department of health services.
7. "Impound" means the act of taking or receiving into custody by the county enforcement agent any dog or other animal for the purpose of confinement in a county pound in accordance with this article.
8. "Kennel" means an enclosed, controlled area, inaccessible to other animals, in which a person keeps, harbors or maintains five or more dogs under controlled conditions.
9. "Livestock" means neat animals, horses, sheep, goats, swine, mules and asses.
(a) Means any person who keeps an animal other than livestock for more than six consecutive days.
(b) Does not include a person who keeps an animal at the request of an animal shelter as defined in section 11-1022.
11. "Rabies quarantine area" means any area in which a state of emergency has been declared to exist due to the occurrence of rabies in animals in or adjacent to this area.
12. "Stray dog" means any dog three months of age or older running at large that is not wearing a valid license tag or microchipped.
13. "Vaccination" means the administration of an antirabies vaccine to animals by a veterinarian or by a rabies vaccinator who is certified pursuant to section 32-2240.02.
14. "Veterinarian", unless otherwise indicated, means any veterinarian who is licensed to practice in this state or any veterinarian who is employed in this state by a governmental agency.
15. "Veterinary hospital" means any establishment that is operated by a veterinarian licensed to practice in this state and that provides clinical facilities and houses animals or birds for dental, medical or surgical treatment. A veterinary hospital may have adjacent to it or in conjunction with it or as an integral part of it pens, stalls, cages or kennels for quarantine, observation or boarding.
16. "Vicious animal" means any animal of the order carnivora that has a propensity to attack, to cause injury to or to otherwise endanger the safety of human beings without provocation or that has been so declared after a hearing before a justice of the peace or a city magistrate.