In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Armed forces of the United States" means the army, the navy, the air force, the marine corps, the coast guard, the commissioned corps of the United States public health services, the national oceanographic and atmospheric administration, the national guard and any military reserve unit of any branch of the armed forces of the United States.
2. "Continuous attendance" means enrollment at an educational institution in this state as a full-time student, as such term is defined by the governing body of the educational institution, for a normal academic year since the beginning of the period for which continuous attendance is claimed. Such person need not attend summer sessions or any other intersession beyond the normal academic year in order to maintain continuous attendance.
3. "Domicile" means a person's true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where he intends to remain and to which he expects to return when he leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.
4. "Emancipated person" means a person who is neither under a legal duty of service to his parent nor entitled to the support of such parent under the laws of this state.
5. "Parent" means a person's father or mother, or if one parent has custody, that parent, or if there is no surviving parent or the whereabouts of the parents are unknown, then a guardian of an unemancipated person if there are not circumstances indicating that such guardianship was created primarily for the purpose of conferring the status of an in-state student on such unemancipated person.